Saturday 26 May 2012


It's a bit late in the season to be talking about what I'm watching, but with my posting schedule it can't be helped.

Fate/Zero - No explanation needed really. I'm always hearing about how the novels did things better, but having not read them I'm very happy with the quality of the anime. We're heading towards the climax now and I'm expecting some amazing scenes for the final battles. Lancer got the short end of the stick (lance?) as expected, but there's always his forbidden love with Fast Wheels.

Hyouka - It's as much about mystery as K-On! was about music, but I'm ok with that. Chitanda's dangerously cute and as far as Male Highschool Protagonists go I much prefer them lazy than oblivious. I'm a little worried about it being 21 episodes; time will tell if it holds my attention that long.

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? of the Dead - Still as funny as the first season. It's rare that I find anime funny let alone me actually laughing at it, but I do with this show all the time. It's a shame it's got such a short run this season.

Lupin the Third - I like the way it's drawn, and I like the episodic tales of thievery, but dear lord Fujiko you truly never pass up an opportunity to get your tits out. I feel like there should be a gap between being a femme fatale, using her body to get what she wants, and being some sort of nudist who walks around everywhere naked just because.

Saki: Achiga-hen - Less superpowers than the first season so far, but more ridiculous clothing. The characters aren't as memorable as the crew from the main series, and there's been much less time spent on the other schools involved in the competition. The amount of lesbianism has remained constant though. I just wish the manga author would hurry up so we could have a proper season 2 already.

She is wearing a jacket and shoes. Nothing else. You'd think she'd get cold.


Sankarea - I came for the promise of zombie Saten. They do look pretty similar, even their names sound alike (Sanka Rea, Saten Ruiko). Aside from her the show's watchable but hardly spectacular. I still don't know much about the protagonist apart from him having an obsession with zombies.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia - I wasn't sure if this was meant to be a horror or not at first, but no it's a highschool comedy with some horror elements. The Japanese do like to mix their horror with comedy, which I've always found a little strange, they don't naturally go together. The show's heavy on the fanservice (not Nise-heavy, just regular heavy) but the story and the characters are interesting in their own right.

I'm not watching either of the noitaminA shows, nor am I watching Polar Bear Cafe. There's no real reason for this, I just never picked them up. If you're watching any of them, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Every time.
I've been playing a lot of Diablo 3 lately. I bought it on release day, which was a terrible choice. The login screen took me a good few hours to get through and in retrospect I could probably have done better things with my night than sitting at the computer pressing Ctrl-V-Enter-Enter until my wrists were sore. Now that the servers are (mostly) working it's been quite fun. I'm playing with a few friends that I played Diablo 2 with back in high school and we've just hit level 60 and are onto the hardest difficulty. My character's a wizard, and it's pretty satisfying spamming various flashy spells at groups of hapless enemies until they explode. I hope the difficulty ramps up a bit though, because so far it's been pretty easy apart from the occasional group of bullshit elites that just kill me over and over. The server lag doesn't help.

I'm a bit worried about the longevity of the game too. In Diablo 2 getting to level 99 was a far-off goal that took months of playing, and few ever achieved it. In Diablo 3 getting to level 60 is a few weeks worth of playing. Both games are all about grinding for loot, but I think it's good to still have some sort of longterm goal rather than just always aiming to get higher numbers on weapons. Maybe beating inferno mode will be that goal, I'm yet to see how hard that is. I do hear that it gets pretty damn tough, which is encouraging.

I won't be playing it much in the near future though. From next week I'm going to a small rural town for 6 weeks. It's not like I'll be completely removed from civilisation (I get a wireless modem with 2GB of internet quota!) but my old laptop isn't up for much besides web browsing and watching video.



I walked past here the other day and saw this, it made me think of /jp/.

Take it easy.

2 comments:

  1. It looks like we're watching the same things except for Lupin and Saki. I'm only watching Sakamichi from the noitaminA and it's great. You should watch it if you like stories about people playing music.

    I suggest writing more blog posts while you're gone.

    >i tried watching accel world but the protagonist was completely insufferable

    But I love that guy. His design makes him look funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started watching stuff from this season, but we're not watching any of the same shows. I've been watching Shining Hearts (BREAD FOR THE BREAD GOD), Natsuiro Kiseki, and Aquarion EVOL. For some reason I don't really want to pick up any of the stuff that I've already read the manga for.

    I know what you mean about level 99 and such. It really stinks that all I will have to look forward to soon is farming the (largely crappy) rares from Hell and Inferno. Leveling is always something extra to look forward to, so it's a shame for it to end so soon.

    >I walked past here the other day and saw this, it made me think of /jp/.

    Oh god, I laughed so hard, that's great.

    ReplyDelete