Friday 15 April 2011

Miku Tony ver.

I've had this figure for days (weeks?) now and have finally gotten around to cleaning my desk to an acceptable standard for her to be placed on. Before I post some pictures, though, I'd like to dispel a common misconception about this figure - that she couldn't possibly strike that pose while keeping her spine intact. I tried to mimic her pose earlier and, while uncomfortable, it's definitely doable. And believe me, I'm no Chinese gymnast. If a Shiteyanyo figure ever gets made (and dear God I hope it does not, that's the stuff of nightmares) then you'll have a valid complaint.

I had a box photo but it's got way too much glare even by my minimal standards so it's straight to the lady herself.

No seriously, you can bend like that.

It's a bit hard assigning a front and back to her, so I just took a few shots from around the sides. My camera was giving me even more trouble than usual and I had to add a bit of blur to get rid of some persistent artifacts so my apologies if the shots aren't as sharp as they could be.






I love her facial expression. Very cute.
She's got a very dynamic feel to her, with almost every part looking like it's in the middle of a motion. Her tie is airborne and her hair swirls out around her. The folds and creases on her clothing really add to the feel of the figure. The detail on her skirt and her sleeve buttons/lights/whatever is done well, and I didn't notice any paint or other quality problems either.

She comes with a microphone, which she can hold in her right hand.


 There are two plastic supports for her hair, but no holes for them to go into. There's an entire instruction booklet explaining this fact, but it didn't bother to actually say specifically where Miku's twintails need the propping up. I just stuck them on the base and let the hair rest where it wanted, but the shorter support really doesn't seem to be doing much. 


The base is quite nice, and is in the shape of piano keys fanning out behind her. It's pretty sturdy but shows fingerprints very easily. Her stockings are wonderfully shiny.


Of course it'd hardly be a proper review without some service shots, and Miku doesn't disappoint in this aspect. Her panties are actually very slightly visible from the front, which is pretty lewd of her.

DEM THIGHS

DAT ARMPIT

DAT ASS
She's not the flattest Miku around, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. Maybe the pose just makes her breasts a bit more noticeable than normal.

To finish on a less lewd note, have some faux-spinning twintail action. I could only afford 5 keyframes so you'll have to do all the in-between work yourself.





You can actually see the translucent effect on the ends of her hair better than I expected from my terrible camera. It's quite a subtle change along most of her hair but becomes quite obvious at the end. Her hair in general has a lot more strands and detail than I expected, and I really like the way it looks. It's not as heavy as I thought it might be either - I think it'd hold its position fine without the supports. Of course, her right twintail would hang a fair bit lower which would detract from the dynamic pose a bit.

Unfortunately this figure was already released by the time I made up my mind and decided I wanted her, so she had already sold out at AmiAmi. I had to buy her from HLJ, which meant I paid a bit more than necessary. I force myself to hold off on purchases to reduce impulse buying, but I think it just worked against me this time.

Overall, this Miku's a great figure. I was initially a tad apprehensive about the pose but, like I said, it's not as backbreaking as I'd thought. The pose is interesting, her expression is cute, and the sculpt is generous on detail. She had no quality problems that I noticed, although I'm still not entirely sure that I've got her left twintail sitting exactly right. I might fiddle around with that some more later.


Figure details:
Name: Character Vocal Series 01 Miku Hatsune Tony ver.
Series: Vocaloid
Scale: 1/7
Company: MAX Factory
Released: March 2010
Bought from: HLJ (FedEx shipping only ¥10563 to Australia!)

10 comments:

  1. I don't have a problem with Miku's pose at all. I prefer action-oriented poses that look slightly awkward over static poses that make sense.

    Miku's expression looks very cute. It looks great when combined with her sexy body. The only thing I dislike about this Miku is how glossy her hair can look depending on the lighting.

    I'm guessing the two support poles are to prevent leaning or balancing issues.

    >She's not the flattest Miku around, and I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that

    I'm actually okay with that. As much as I like DFC, I believe in shape over size. It just so happens that small breasts have a better shape, to me anyways.

    >I force myself to hold off on purchases to reduce impulse buying

    I do this a lot too. I would have caved in and bought this Miku if it wasn't for the Lat version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sculpt of this Miku. I never thought it looked awkward at all, everybody else is just hating.

    >but the shorter support really doesn't seem to be doing much.

    Maybe it's for balancing issues like how Cpt. Awesome said.

    >I force myself to hold off on purchases to reduce impulse buying

    This always works against me. I end up having to pay more than I would've if I just impulse buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks nice, not awkward, also you can see her naughty bits :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's actually a pretty good dynamic pose, not awkward. However the Shiteyanyo... That was scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a really nice figure. The action of the pose seems a bit awkward if you think about it too much, but if you just appreciate it as it is then it's a very aesthetically pleasing design.

    Because I am compelled to:

    >armpit

    Oooh yes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. >if a Shiteyanyo figure ever gets made
    Now you reminded of the time I found this on pixiv a gif version.

    I like the pose too I guess and that metallic look and that glossy hair many colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've said it before, but that armpit makes this figure. At least for me. I agree with Cpt. in that silly dynamic poses are preferable. They just keep the figure from getting boring.

    >Of course, her right twintail would hang a fair bit lower which would detract from the dynamic pose a bit.

    For some reason, this makes me cringe.

    It's a little late for this, and probably futile, but would you mind if I stuck a link to your review page on my own? Too lazy to maintain that page properly anymore. I'll check back later for your response, if you grace me with one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. >The only thing I dislike about this Miku is how glossy her hair can look depending on the lighting.

    That's something I hadn't fully realised until I started trying to take pictures. Thankfully the lighting on the shelf I'm displaying her on doesn't bring it out noticeably.

    >Would you mind if I stuck a link to your review page on my own?

    Not at all, go ahead. I didn't realise you had such a comprehensive review list, I take it you won't mind if I add a link to yours on my review page?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go ahead. I'm very lazy about it, though. You can tell just by looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. At first I thought the pose looked slightly painful, but maybe it isn't. It would probably be for me if I tried to pose like that, though.

    I regret not pre-ordering her now. ;_;

    ReplyDelete